Day 6: Dateland to Gila Bend

This is the only picture I took today!   But it was a reasonable day all things considered.  Considering that for obscure and poorly understood reasons we are cycling many miles through the hot, dry, dusty, and basically very boring Arizona desert.  Last night's sunset was pretty but other than that I have yet to get the beautiful part of this landscape.

We have all gone from dreading the interstate to hoping that we get to ride on it.  On the frontage roads we bump and jounce around unmercifully-- on the interstate we have a wide and smooth passage that would seem like a lovely bike lane if it weren't for the 75 mile an hour speed limit and the scores of huge trucks passing by.  Fortunately we had only 53 miles to ride and there were none of Bubba's surprise extra miles-- we had about five extras yesterday.  John is feeling better and rode all the way today-- I amused myself by watching for the astonishing number of nuts, bolts, screws, nails, tacks, D rings, S hooks and etc, that end up on the shoulder of the interstate---today I even saw a wrench.  Could not listen to Owen Meany because the Interstate is too noisy and the frontage roads are too bumpy.  In Gila Bend we found our first Dairy Queen and really, does life get any better than that?

3 comments:

  1. The desert has a strange beauty that not everyone can appreciate. Catherine was bored at best, and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Brian liked going to the desert....I've never been but except for photos of nice sunsets around Sedona I had a hard time figuring out the appeal.....except that it is warm and not buggy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Arizona desert. I saw it more as an ancient sea bed and would think about where I might run a long line for fish. I also loved the saguaros and I looked fore any opportunity to see a rattlesnake! Amazing how different people can be!

    ReplyDelete